Monday, June 1, 2015

Interactive Notebook!!!!

So this year I went full interactive notebook in my Algebra 2 classes. Everyone does them different and I don't think there's a right or wrong way to implement them, but I just wanted to share mine. The downfall of interactive notebooks is how much time they take on the preparation side so that leads to my disclaimer: I happily borrowed and bought many many many of there ideas from other bloggers and TPT. I will try my best to link each and every one of them but may forget where I got a few :)

Here are a few pictures and details on how I set mine up and how I organized them.

First I had my students purchase a composition notebook ( a few had non composition books and they fell apart) And on the outside I had them write their name, class and period. I made a book along with each and every class (3 periods).


On the inside cover each student pasted a notebook rubric. ( Kids get so mad when I took a point off for skipping a page. "But it's right there in the rubric," I say) I found this rubric here.


On the first lined page I had students create a "Math About Me" page where they had to have at least 8 numbers that pertained to their lives and had to add some color. (Along with their names again and the class period)

Next year I want to create my syllabus so it can be glued in on one of the first few pages so the kids have it handy when I refer to a rule or procedure listed in it.

The next 6 pages we saved for gluing in our future Unit Table of Content pages. We had 12 units total in Algebra 2 and we made a new page for each one. I used Sarah's from Math Equals Love here. I used a different color for each unit and then repeated the colors over.

The way that I set mine up on the inside was that we took notes (definitions, formulas, steps, etc. ) on the left hand side and then worked out examples ( or classwork) on the right hand side. This worked well for my classes but I was pretty strict about what we wrote down and didn't give them much option to customize to how they wanted to set them up. It was also a little bit of a pain for my students in AVID who were supposed to be taking Cornell style notes.

Some notes were boring and we didn't always glue something in. sometimes the only thing we glued were examples typed out. 

Inside the back cover we taped down a "bookmark" made from sting. I don't know how many of my students actually used these and may skip them next year. 


For the majority of the year we were using glue sticks to paste in our foldables and such but I noticed lots of papers coming unglued. Once our gluesticks ran out I switched everyone to an elmers school glue and they help up much better. Even though it seems messier I just tell them to use 5 dots (one in each corner and one in the middle).

I collected the notebooks whenever we had a test and counted the table of contents page and each set of notes (left  & right side) as 5 points each.Depending on how many notes we had in that unit the notebook points would vary.

So that's basically how I set them up and I plan on sharing all 12 units individually...wish me luck.







1 comment:

  1. You did such a great job on the first units. I would love to see the rest.
    BTW-where can I get your fabulous graphic organizers and digital foldables?

    ReplyDelete