Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Algebra 2 Unit 2

Our second unit in Algebra 2 is on Linear Relations & Functions. This unit is my green unit so everything I copied was in green except for a mistake white foldable : (



Our first set of notes was just an into to functions and relations. I got these graphic organizers here. We did a cut and paste activity where they had to identify the difference between functions and not functions. Then we used this awesome domain foldable. I don't think I referred back to it often enough for students to use it. These notes definitely took longer than I had intended.





Next these notes were pretty boring about linear equations. Students first practiced graphing intercepts to form lines.



These notes are about slope and slope formula. Since slope should be a review for Algebra 2 students we combined Parallel & perpendicular slopes as well. I stole the name idea from Sarah at Math Equals Love and had students identify the slopes when writing their name in straight line letters. She has a bunch of great slope pictures here.



We finally then moved onto Slope-Intercept Form. Students always remember y = mx = b but don't know how to use it or what the letters stand for. I love this foldable I found on TPT here. It has a place to model one problem for the students and then have them try one similar. It also organizes the different information a problem might give them into three doors.





Piecewise Functions were a really difficult topic for my students. When we did problems for warmups or classwork I gave them colored pencils to shade in the the area for each piece and then draw the line in the matching color. One difficulty they also had was deciding the closed or open circle where the functions met.
I got this foldable on TPT here but really am not in love with it (I had to write on the outside of the doors myself and the title on top was hard to cut around) I may remake something next time.




Here is the foldable that should have been printed on green, but at least its white and not yellow or pink. I got it from Sarah here. I like that we started with the parent function so they could see the shape and graphed points to move them around.




Lastly in this unit was Linear Inequalities. I really enjoy these and I should have made something to glue in for the chart to decide solid/dashed and above/below. I've used this little chart for a couple of years though and I think it helps.The foldable came from TPT here. I Like that 2 examples are in slope intercept form and two are not so they have to rewrite them and not rely on the sign. I also like that they circle solid/dashed and above/below before they start.




That's it for unit 2 on Linear Equations & Inequalities.



































No comments:

Post a Comment