Monday, March 30, 2015

Distance & Midpoint Formula

Just wanted to share an easy way to get your students to practice the distance & midpoint formulas.

Print off a class set of what I think of as skeletons for the two formulas.




Put each paper into a clear sheet protector.



Hand each student the sheet protector, a dry erase marker and something to erase with.



After students have been given the formulas you can give them two points to practice by filling in each step and working down to the answer.



The scaffolding helps students work out each step. The hardest part for them will be adding/subtracting positive & negative integers.




Then for homework assign practice problems without the scaffolding.

My students had a lot of fun working on problems and even asked for a couple more to work on. I've used these a couple of years in a row now so I just keep the papers in the protectors but I have some other papers I change them out to. (synthetic division, graphing lines, box method and factoring by grouping) The sheet protectors are way cheaper than a class set of white boards and its nice to put that paper inside with some steps for them.

If I knew how to upload the files I would :( Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Would you mind posting links to these papers?

    ReplyDelete